Donate to YoungLifeLeaders.org

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Soul Food


My soul got fed today. Lately that seems like a rare occurrence. Some say that "seminary" is more like "cemetery," and that a little bit of your heart tends to die while your brain swells. Both Natalie and I are fighting for our seminary experience to be different. DenSem does a good job at putting things in place (mentors, spiritual formation groups, relevant chapels, etc...) to care for your heart, but lately my heart has seemed a lil calloused.

Today I went to the Regional Young Life staff retreat for all the folks on staff in Denver metro and Ft. Collins. It was so refreshing to be together with others who share my passion for Christ and for kids. Ken Tankersly (Tank), our regional director, led a sweet time of the men on staff verbally and publically affirming the women staff. I think one of the things that my years on YL staff have taught me is an increased view and appreciation for women.

Later in the afternoon Bob and Claudia Mitchell shared with us. Bob was just 13 years old when Jim Rayburn held the first YL club in his living room and he later became president of YL. Despite the fact that he's a living legend and one of my heroes in the faith, it was just beautiful to watch him and his wife open the scriptures and speak of a Christ its obvious they know. I hope that Natalie and I can be speaking of Christ together when we are in our 80's.

Although I didn't know many of the other staff, I felt like I was at home today. The mission of Young Life has taken some hits this year and been through the ringer, and although YL is far from perfect, today reminded me why I love being a part of it. The staff I have been around are raw and real. There is not a lot of sin hiding. They weep for lost kids. They love each other and exhibit true community. They value Christ above the organization. They depend on Jesus. And...they have cool fleece jackets with YL logos on them.

I feel spoiled to get to be a part of such an incredible ministry, an incredibly stretching ministry, a ministry that seems impossible without the power of Christ.

No comments: